Panel Feature Request

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Sun May 1 16:40:01 CEST 2005

Erik Harrison wrote:
> I'll drop this on the Wiki if you like Jasper, but it seems like less
> a "design" issue than a flat out feature request.
>
> Now that I can have (theoretically) more than one instance of the
> panel, I'd like to have floating panels back please. I realize that
> autohiding was problematic for floating windows, and that WM hints for
> windows that can be docked was also complex, but I know a small but
> devoted chunk of users miss this feature desperately.

If you could add it to bugzilla, that would be great. I will certainly
consider the request (depends on how much extra work it is ;-), although
personally I can't really see the benefit of a panel that is not on the
screen edge.

> I personally know two users who moved to Xfce from Gnome because Gnome
> 2 took away floating panel functionality, and refuse to upgrade Xfce
> for that very reason.
>
> I was also thinking that a way around the "Switching Hints" problem
> might be to just close one window and start a new one when the panel
> becomes undocked from a screenedge. Since applets are out of process,
> it's even concievable that applets won't need to be reloaded or
> restarted, just communicate with a different window.

I don't think there should be a big problem with the implementation; if
I add this (or rather remove the restriction), I'll disable autohide for
floating panels.

thanks,
	Jasper