Panel does not store config in 4.2.1

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Thu Mar 17 16:34:38 CET 2005

On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 03:44:43PM +0100, Benedikt Meurer wrote:

> And can we perhaps create a QA group or something like that, and a few
> fixed test cases, to avoid such bugs in releases in the future? No
> offense, I know how nerve-wracking it is to release stuff from the 4.2.x
> branch. It's just that this is a critical bug that could have been
> avoided with some rigorous test cases.

Oh, and my apologies for breaking things. It was probably a bad idea to change
the configuration saving in the stable series as well -- it does help people
recover from bad plugins, though, so that's why I decided to put it in.

One problem is of course that I don't even run 4.2.x, so testing is minimal.
In this case the exact same change is also in HEAD, but that may not always be
the case.

A QA team would be awesome. Just getting a few people to test a few standard
situations would probably help a lot:
- Does it build?
- Does it run on an empty new user account?
- Does it upgrade properly from an existing configuration?
- Change a lot of settings and see if they are saved properly.
- Add/remove items to/from the panel and see if it saves properly.
- Add/remove programs to the session and see if they are saved and restored
  properly.

On that same note other test teams might also be helpful, like a UI team:
- Are our user interfaces consistant?
- Suggest improvements.
- Keyboard and mouse shortcuts, accessibility.

A documentation team...

It probably doesn't even have to be very official, just a number of people
willing to test something, a little coordination and access to preliminary
tarballs.

I guess the coordination might be our biggest problem here...

	Jasper