E17 benchmarks

Don Christensen djc at cisco.com
Thu Jun 9 23:09:46 CEST 2005

Benedikt Meurer wrote:

>>Right up front I'll say this: I'm aware that I'm not an average user,
>>and I don't evaluate things using the same criteria average users use.
>>Having said that, I'm not going to look at "benchmarks" when trying to
>>decide whether or not to use something like a DE.  Raw speed is useless
>>to me in that sense.  When talking about a DE, I find the term
>>"benchmark" to be meaningless.  (General perfomance, however, is
>>something I would look at; a WM map-speed benchmark is totally
>>irrelevant in that kind of metric.)
>

> I can only agree with Brian here. Are we really going to become Gnome^3
> in that we listen to clueless users, who request features based on
> invalid use-cases or simply because they think that they need to speak
> up? I was always under the impression, that Xfce cares for solutions
> instead of adding every hyped feature ASAP. And that was actually what
> kept me with Xfce until now.
>
> If somebody is unable to understand the problem with Carstens benchmark,
> then ok, let him use E17. I don't care. Quality of software goes over
> quantity of clueless users.

If this is really what motivates you, then I support whatever decision
you guys want to make.  I just don't want Xfce to wither away because
not enough people are using it to keep the devs motivated.  Not that I
think the user base is going to diminish, Xfce is too good for that.

Actually, the idea of not catering to clueless users (or those that think
they have the right to demand certain features) seems desirable to some
extent.  The more sophisticated the user base is, the more sophisticated
Xfce will be, right?

-Don

--
Don Christensen       Senior Software Development Engineer
djc at cisco.com         Cisco Systems, Santa Cruz, CA