Bye, bye

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Thu Jan 27 09:22:07 CET 2005

Benedikt Meurer wrote:

> As forced by Brian and Jasper, I've reorganized the autobuild
> framework into a single module xfce4-dev-tools, so we can safely
> remove autogenerated files from CVS now.

hah!  we didn't force you to create xfce4-dev-tools.  that was because
you're too anal to allow anything to be done half-assed.  (note: not a
criticism.)

> I'm still experimenting with the xdt-autogen script, so prepare for
> possible breakage. But I thought its better to have it in CVS already,
> so people can test it and blame me for bugs. Same goes for M4 macros,
> tho they should work fine, but no promises.

the old autogen.sh allowed you to set the env var NOCONFIGURE=1, and it
wouldn't run configure for you.  any chance of adding this to
xdt-autogen?  i'd like to add back my makefile rule to the toplevel
Makefile.am that checks if configure.ac is newer than configure, and
runs autogen if so.  but i don't want autogen to run configure, since
make will take care of that, and it won't be a bother to make sure
configure gets passed the proper arguments.

also, XDT_XFCE_PANEL_PLUGIN() and XDT_XFCE_MCS_PLUGIN() don't appear to
work - that is, they look like they just return
$libdir/xfce4/(panel-plugins|mcs-plugins).  ah yes, i note this line in
xdt-xfce.m4:
$1_PLUGINSDIR=$libdir/xfce4/panel-plugins
and also:
$1_PLUGINSDIR=$libdir/xfce4/mcs-plugins
seems like it should be substituting the output of "pkg-config
(xfce4-panel-1.0|xfce-mcs-manager) --variable=pluginsdir".

random gotcha for everyone else: BM_I18N() and XDT_I18N() don't take the
same arguments!  leave out the package name argument and just have an
arg for the language list (or tack the package name on the end as arg 2,
but it's not necessary unless GETTEXT_PACKAGE should be different from
the tarball name).  it took me a while to figure out why the configure
script was thinking i wanted to build for a language called "xfdesktop".

otherwise, kickass.  it's great to have all this stuff in one place
now.  and my tree is thrilled to ditch all the atogenerated files.
thanks benny!

    -brian