Bye, bye

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Wed Jan 26 23:27:38 CET 2005

Hello devs,

As forced by Brian and Jasper, I've reorganized the autobuild framework
into a single module xfce4-dev-tools, so we can safely remove
autogenerated files from CVS now. I did this for libxfce4util and
libxfcegui4 already to test if stuff works. If you want to do it for
your modules as well, just cvs remove -f all autogenerated files, copy
the autogen.sh from libxfce4util over and install xfce4-dev-tools. As
you might notice, I've rewrote nearly all macros (BM_DEBUG_SUPPORT is
the only missing currently), but for smooth upgrades, the old names are
still valid (BM_DEPEND, BM_DEPEND_CHECK, etc.), but I strongly suggest
using the new (better) names.

I'm still experimenting with the xdt-autogen script, so prepare for
possible breakage. But I thought its better to have it in CVS already,
so people can test it and blame me for bugs. Same goes for M4 macros,
tho they should work fine, but no promises.

Concerning users: Everybody who wants to build Xfce from CVS in the
future will need to install xfce4-dev-tools first (and of course the
appriorate autotools, gtk-doc, glib, etc.). I bet we'll see all kinds of
weird user problems soon, but the majority was for removing the files,
and so, thats life...

I guess thats all for now.

Happy breakage,
Benedikt