some new tools: globaltime and xfstart ?

Juha Kautto kautto.juha at kolumbus.fi
Wed Jan 19 12:42:27 CET 2005

Jasper Huijsmans wrote:

>Hi Juha,
>
>On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 11:36:43AM +0200, Juha Kautto wrote:
>

>>Hi all !
>>
>>Con gratulations of the new 4.2 to all devs ! Well done indeed.
>>I am a happy convert from KDE to Xfce, but I missed a few tools, so I
>>built something for me.
>>

>Now, that's the spirit ;)
>

>>1) I used Kstart a lot and it works slowly in xfce, so I modified wmctrl
>>so that it can now be used like Kstart.
>>If you think this would be useful for others, I could modify it to be
>>integrated to xfce. let me know.
>>Some examples of how I use it now:
>>/* start terminal to desktop 2 */
>>wmctrl -t 2 -E -r "gnome-terminal --geometry +510+374 --hide-menubar
>>--title=Nelj?&"
>>

>Nice. Perhaps we could turn it into a library function to be used by xfrun,
>the panel, ... Hmm, maybe a separate utility is better... Ok, I don't know ;)

I never managed to get the xfsession to work :-\ so this is what I use
as substitute.....
xfrun can call it...so keeping it separate would be more like linux
spirit....?

>>2) globaltime
>>This small program can show clocks of different areas of world. Take a
>>look:
>>http://www.kolumbus.fi/kautto.juha/screenshot3.png
>>it is above the panel. the other two windows on top are for configuration.
>>

>Ok, first of all, 'Too Many Options' (TM). Heh, it's been a while since I
>could say that. Secondly: very cool. Not sure how I would like the panel clock
>to work for 4.4 yet, but this is definitely a nice idea.

Yep. agree. :-D  too many options...I am not an experienced Gtk coder so
I also wanted to test what it can do....
If you are interested, I can  show you the patches to clock panel and
the current source of the globaltime ?
I can then modify those to be compatible with your ideas of clock.
Currently it is a bit problematic since clock
plugin is deeply integrated into Xfce base and I had to modify also the
libraries.

>>This needs Gtk+ 2.4 and is integrated into clock panel plugin similarly
>>than xfcalendar. If you press button 1
>>xfcalender pops up, if you press button 2 globaltime will popup.
>>
>>Let me know if these look something that you think would be worth doing
>>properly (now beta quality only)
>>and included in Xfce ?
>>
>>(I still miss Kalarm, which I also use a lot and probably start next
>>building it based on xfcalendar...)
>>

>Yes! Since Korbinus has had very little time on it, it would be awesome if you
>could help him out. The notification icon must go and only show up when there
>is an appointment. Apointments need time as well as date. Does that sound a
>bit like Kalarm?

Indeed very much like it. just need to add those bells and whistles....
In an other email you also mentioned a need for maintainer for xfcalendar.
I am happy to try to do that. But I do have my daily work also, so I
will not be able to
work full time with it. If that is ok, let me know how I can start the
work :-)  !
And yes, I agree it should go to xfce-utils....