some new tools: globaltime and xfstart ?

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Wed Jan 19 10:54:26 CET 2005

Hi Juha,

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 11:36:43AM +0200, Juha Kautto wrote:
> Hi all !
>
> Con gratulations of the new 4.2 to all devs ! Well done indeed.
> I am a happy convert from KDE to Xfce, but I missed a few tools, so I
> built something for me.

Now, that's the spirit ;)

> 1) I used Kstart a lot and it works slowly in xfce, so I modified wmctrl
> so that it can now be used like Kstart.
> If you think this would be useful for others, I could modify it to be
> integrated to xfce. let me know.
> Some examples of how I use it now:
> /* start terminal to desktop 2 */
> wmctrl -t 2 -E -r "gnome-terminal --geometry +510+374 --hide-menubar
> --title=Nelj?&"

Nice. Perhaps we could turn it into a library function to be used by xfrun,
the panel, ... Hmm, maybe a separate utility is better... Ok, I don't know ;)

> 2) globaltime
> This small program can show clocks of different areas of world. Take a
> look:
> http://www.kolumbus.fi/kautto.juha/screenshot3.png
> it is above the panel. the other two windows on top are for configuration.

Ok, first of all, 'Too Many Options' (TM). Heh, it's been a while since I
could say that. Secondly: very cool. Not sure how I would like the panel clock
to work for 4.4 yet, but this is definitely a nice idea.

> This needs Gtk+ 2.4 and is integrated into clock panel plugin similarly
> than xfcalendar. If you press button 1
> xfcalender pops up, if you press button 2 globaltime will popup.
>
> Let me know if these look something that you think would be worth doing
> properly (now beta quality only)
> and included in Xfce ?
>
> (I still miss Kalarm, which I also use a lot and probably start next
> building it based on xfcalendar...)

Yes! Since Korbinus has had very little time on it, it would be awesome if you
could help him out. The notification icon must go and only show up when there
is an appointment. Apointments need time as well as date. Does that sound a
bit like Kalarm?

	Jasper