some new tools: globaltime and xfstart ?

Juha Kautto kautto.juha at kolumbus.fi
Wed Jan 19 10:36:43 CET 2005

Hi all !

Con gratulations of the new 4.2 to all devs ! Well done indeed.
I am a happy convert from KDE to Xfce, but I missed a few tools, so I
built something for me.

1) I used Kstart a lot and it works slowly in xfce, so I modified wmctrl
so that it can now be used like Kstart.
If you think this would be useful for others, I could modify it to be
integrated to xfce. let me know.
Some examples of how I use it now:
/* start terminal to desktop 2 */
wmctrl -t 2 -E -r "gnome-terminal --geometry +510+374 --hide-menubar
--title=Neljä&"

2) globaltime
This small program can show clocks of different areas of world. Take a
look:
http://www.kolumbus.fi/kautto.juha/screenshot3.png
it is above the panel. the other two windows on top are for configuration.

This needs Gtk+ 2.4 and is integrated into clock panel plugin similarly
than xfcalendar. If you press button 1
xfcalender pops up, if you press button 2 globaltime will popup.

Let me know if these look something that you think would be worth doing
properly (now beta quality only)
 and included in Xfce ?

(I still miss Kalarm, which I also use a lot and probably start next
building it based on xfcalendar...)

best regards
Juha