Xfce Foundation Classes 4.3.0-Test1

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Tue Jan 18 15:48:19 CET 2005

Jeff Franks wrote:
>> IMHO, people don't really need the separation between the "core" and
>> the "ui" part. So a single CVS module would be the easiest way to
>> maintain it. The separation between "ui" and "core" can then be done
>> at the package management level.
>>
>> What do you think?
>

> Currently the top module name I used for installation purposes was
> 'xfc'. In cvs it could be libxfc or libxfc4 - but - there wont actually
> be a libxfc or libxfc4 library.  Having a module called libxfc4 with
> libxfccore4 and libxfcui4 submodules seems a bit odd. The only modules
> that I could find that do it are libxml2/libltdl, and libxslt/libexslt
> and libxslt/libxslt in the GNOME CVS. A long time ago the two libraries
> where one, called libinti. When I wrote a C++ wrapper for GConf I split
> the libraries up because the wrapper for GConf only needed to use glib,
> not gtk+. It also meant that add-on libraries could be written that only
> use the GLib wrapper. libxfccore-4.3 is a very small at 220 kbytes,
> whereas libxfcui-4.3 is 2.3 megabytes. I could always recombine the
> libraries into one: libxfc4 or libxfcui4.

Seriously, I don't know whats best here. From the current experience
with Xfce4, there was no real need to split the libraries into 3
different packages. The result of this split is actually more work. But
I see your point in splitting it, and so, I'd say, we'll leave it up to
you to decide. ;-)

> Jeff

greets,
Benedikt