Xfce Foundation Classes 4.3.0-Test1

Jeff Franks jcfranks at tpg.com.au
Wed Jan 19 02:50:40 CET 2005

Benedikt Meurer wrote:

> IMHO, people don't really need the separation between the "core" and
> the "ui" part. So a single CVS module would be the easiest way to
> maintain it. The separation between "ui" and "core" can then be done
> at the package management level.
>
> What do you think?

Currently the top module name I used for installation purposes was
'xfc'. In cvs it could be libxfc or libxfc4 - but - there wont actually
be a libxfc or libxfc4 library.  Having a module called libxfc4 with
libxfccore4 and libxfcui4 submodules seems a bit odd. The only modules
that I could find that do it are libxml2/libltdl, and libxslt/libexslt
and libxslt/libxslt in the GNOME CVS. A long time ago the two libraries
where one, called libinti. When I wrote a C++ wrapper for GConf I split
the libraries up because the wrapper for GConf only needed to use glib,
not gtk+. It also meant that add-on libraries could be written that only
use the GLib wrapper. libxfccore-4.3 is a very small at 220 kbytes,
whereas libxfcui-4.3 is 2.3 megabytes. I could always recombine the
libraries into one: libxfc4 or libxfcui4.

Jeff