xfprint4 : unlogical configuration

Jean-François Wauthy pollux at xfce.org
Wed Jan 12 23:17:12 CET 2005

Le mercredi 12 janvier 2005 à 12:35 -0800, Brian J. Tarricone a écrit :
> On 01/12/05 14:20, Erik Harrison wrote:
> > On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 11:25:26 +0900, Rob Lahaye <roblahaye at home.nl> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I find it a bit annoying to have two totally different configuration
> > > dialogs for xfprint4:
> > >
> > > 1) Xfce Settings Manager -> Printing system
> > >    for selection of printing to 'file' or 'lpr-printer'
> > >
> > > 2) The xfprint4 dialog
> > >    for doing all other stuff, such as file-selection, pretty-print
> > >    etc.
> > >
> > > For the user's convenience, I suggest to add a file/printer choice
> > > to xfprint4 dialog.
> > > The Printing system in Xfce Settings Manager should then have the
> > > "default" selection (file/printer); and the xfprint4 dialog should
> > > allow you to deviate from this default selection.
> > >
> > > I often alternate between printing to file and to printer.
> > > The amount of clicks and dialogs needed in xfce to get everything
> > > set up each time is far too much!
> >
> > Yes, but I'm not sure that anyone needs to switch from CUPS to lpr,
> > and if they do, then they're beyond help.
> >
> > Perhaps instead there can be a "file" printer always available, and
> > the "file printing system removed from the configuration dialog?
>
> that seems a bit too complicated, and somewhat hacky to me.
in fact it's very easy to do, because it uses a temporary .ps file
(produced by a2ps) in /tmp before sending it to the backend printing
system, so we only have to had an option allowing the user to save this
file elsewhere and don't send the file to the backend and of course in
this case the FILE backend can be removed.

>  i think
> the printing backends should be almost invisble to the user - you need
> to select one when adding the printer to xfprint (since it needs to know
> how to access/enumerate the printer), but the actual printing process
> should just give a list of names of available printers, regardless of
> backend.  the user should never have to select an "active" backend.

not so easy to do but could be doable, but it would provide double
entries (CUPS can emulate a BSD-LPR system) and the module system is
more flexible (but i agree xfprint should detect the current used
printing system)... i think we can discuss what we want for 4.4 but
after 4.2 is released

> but i don't use xfprint, so what do i know...

you should be using it :p
> 	-brian
>
> p.s.  hell, for printing systems (CUPS?) that support device enumeration,
> xfprint should just go ahead and automatically add/maintain entries for
> printers using those backends that support it.
xfprint automatically get the list from the CUPS server, i think i miss
your point. if you're talking about allowing the user to add the printer
from xfprint-manager i've this idea for 4.4 but i'm not sure yet.

ps: nondidju d'examens de merde !!! ;)

cheers