Keeping POTFILES.in sync'd

Daichi Kawahata daichi.k at aioros.ocn.ne.jp
Thu Feb 24 18:04:28 CET 2005

Hello,

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 17:47:26 +0100
Benedikt Meurer wrote:

> Since adding new files to a project is not one of the most common
> operations (atleast not in Xfce), I don't see the need to scriptify
> the generation of POTFILES.in, but I may be missing your point.
> Maybe you can explain?

Well, translating in the updated CVS tree, I've noticed POTFILE.in
doesn't always catching up with source code modifying, e.g.
I've got xffm 4.3.0.26 (HEAD), tried update .pot file in the po
directory,

  $ LC_ALL=C gmake update-po
  gmake xffm.pot
  gmake[1]: Entering directory `/opt/src/desktop/xfce/xffm/po'
  gmake[1]: *** No rule to make target `../libs/callbacks.c',
            needed by `xffm.pot'.  Stop.
  gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/src/desktop/xfce/xffm/po'
  gmake: *** [update-po] Error 2

Of course, CVS has (sometimes horribly long) time lag, so it might
be updated properly, but I've experienced many times especially
on the translation process in CVS tree.

Script is just example, I've been finding better way how to update
POTFILES.in as well as Makefile.am and configure.ac (autotools).

Regards,
--
Daichi