Panel Settings Dialog

Jari Rahkonen jari.rahkonen at pp1.inet.fi
Fri Dec 16 09:36:05 CET 2005

Jasper Huijsmans wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have just committed an alternative implementation for the panel
> settings dialog. Maybe some of you could have a look and tell me what
> you think.
>
> It is a bit more traditional in the sense that it shows a list of items
> on the selected panel with a couple of buttons to move an item, remove
> it or add a new item. This last button opens a separate dialog with the
> list of all available items. It is still possible to use drag and drop
> from this dialog, but it also allows a user to add items one by one.
>
> Screenshot: http://www.loculus.nl/xfce/files/settings-dialog.png
>
> I was hoping that this would make things a little easier to discover,
> especially moving items.
>
> You can switch between implementations by replacing
> 'panel_manager_dialog' with 'panel_settings_dialog' in panel/panel-app.c
> and recompiling.
>
> Please let me know what you think:

[ ] Drag and drop only (previous dialog).
[X] Indirect manipulation + drag and drop (new dialog).

> Thanks,
> Jasper

The new dialog looks pretty and compact, I really like it.

My only concern would still be discoverability. It took me a minute
just staring at the list of rows all saying 'launcher' to realize,
what it was supposed to represent. I bet if the items had the same
icons they have in the panel I'd gotten hang of it much sooner.

What I'm trying to say is that the dialog is still a bit confusing,
but it's definitely going in the right direction.

- Jari Rahkonen