4.4 ETA?

Jani Monoses jani.monoses at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 22:12:43 CET 2005

>>>This is why I asked whether xfwm, panel and desktop are coupled at all.
>>>If at one point one of these gets to be release ready and well tested it
>>>still won't lead to xfce as a whole to be released.
>

> And who's going to make that determination?  You?

Probably, but based on others input too, not just my judgement.

> Yes.  "Pretty stable" != "releaseable".

Then s/pretty// and equality holds. It is very unlikely that xfce 4.4
components will reach stability at the same time. Release happens when
all are release-ready so by this definition at least one will be release
ready while xfce 4.4 is still unreleased. So picking such a component
may be using unreleased xfce' but will be good enough for people who
don't care about version numbers.

>>>Asking here first, IOW what I am being right now :)
>

> And I've told you several times now that I don't recommend including an
> unreleased version of any of the components.

I am taking that recommandation very seriously even if not as a rule set
in stone.

> As others have pointed out, I really don't see the point of a so-called
> "Xfce-based" distro that doesn't use a stock Xfce install.  If people
> want to swap out components, that's certainly their choice, but if
> Xubuntu isn't going to provide all of Xfce by default, why would a
> hypothetical user use Xubuntu (a brand-new unknown) rather than Ubuntu
> (a relatively well-established distro with well-known support abilities
> and practices) with Xfce packages installed?

The target user is not one who picks only based on his taste, but
considers hw constraints too. The main goal of xubuntu is to allow older
hardware run a non-spartan DE. It is not at all about mocking gnome or
kde. And ubuntu with xfce packages installed _is_ more or less Xubuntu.
So the support abilities and practices of ubuntu all transfer to
xubuntu. And it will provide xfce as a whole by default as I already
stated it twice. Not chosing xfburn based on it not being ready is the
only mod I mentioned so far.

Jani