4.4 ETA?

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Mon Dec 5 21:22:38 CET 2005

On 12/5/2005 5:32 AM, Jani Monoses wrote:

>>Yes, it would indeed mean "using an unreleased version of Xfce". The
>

> This is why I asked whether xfwm, panel and desktop are coupled at all.
> If at one point one of these gets to be release ready and well tested it
> still won't lead to xfce as a whole to be released.

And who's going to make that determination?  You?

> So precisely
> because of the relative independence of components 'unreleased version
> of xfce' is a very subjective thing to say. Better to err on a safe side
> I know, but the release process shows that exact same sources get
> bundled (modulo po files) as new versions, because they are stable.
> So as you say below that xfce4-session is pretty stable. Would you
> consider adding that to rest of xfce4.2 as 'using an unreleased version
> of xfce'?

Yes.  "Pretty stable" != "releaseable".

>>What does "careful" mean?
>
> Asking here first, IOW what I am being right now :)

And I've told you several times now that I don't recommend including an
unreleased version of any of the components.

>>Right, but if you swap out core Xfce components for others (e.g.,
>>xfdesktop for nautilus, or xfwm4 for metacity), it's not really Xfce
>>anymore; it just contains Xfce components.
>
> I'm not quite _that_ silly. To clarify: xfce based distro means xfce
> core components dropping only the ones which have a better viable
> alternative outside xfce, viable meaning lightweight while still being
> usable. And from what Jean-Paul said it could be that only xfburn will
> be missing, and probably graveman used instead.

As others have pointed out, I really don't see the point of a so-called
"Xfce-based" distro that doesn't use a stock Xfce install.  If people
want to swap out components, that's certainly their choice, but if
Xubuntu isn't going to provide all of Xfce by default, why would a
hypothetical user use Xubuntu (a brand-new unknown) rather than Ubuntu
(a relatively well-established distro with well-known support abilities
and practices) with Xfce packages installed?

I must reiterate that if you are not going to include a stock Xfce
install[0] by default, it's not Xfce.

	-brian

[0] With any stabilisation or bug-fixing patches you deem necessary and
appropriate, of course.