4.4 ETA?

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Mon Dec 5 18:44:01 CET 2005

Hi Jani,

Jani Monoses wrote:
> We'll try to pick the best apps for everything and one of the reasons
> for me lurking on this list is to get help from you in deciding what
> 'best' is.

If I can raise my voice, I'd say that i wouldn't make  much sense to
replace one of the core components of xfce with something else in the
case of Ubuntu. It's not like if you were to build yet another brand new
Linux distribution. Ubuntu comes with GNOME by default, and that's fine.

If you remove xfwm4 and replace it with metacity, or replace the panel
with GNOME panel, xfdesktop with, humm, dunno what ;) or even replace
Thunar with Nautilus, then what is the point of using Xfce at all? Users
may choose to replace some components, that's the greatness of
interoperability, but that's not the point.

Now, using evolution, gdm, GNOME terminal (although I personally prefer
Benny's Terminal) would perfectly make sense IMHO. We have no plan to
reinvent the wheel, build yet another Tetris, gimp, openoffice or whatever.

Of course, as a package maintainer, the choice remains yours, you can
pick up any application you want to and build whatever fits the users
needs best, the I'm just drawing my own views of the whole picture.

Cheers,
Olivier.