4.4 ETA?

Foxy foxy at on-the-hill.me.uk
Mon Dec 5 19:03:35 CET 2005

Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> Hi Jani,
>
> Jani Monoses wrote:
>
>> We'll try to pick the best apps for everything and one of the reasons
>> for me lurking on this list is to get help from you in deciding what
>> 'best' is.
>>

> If I can raise my voice, I'd say that i wouldn't make  much sense to
> replace one of the core components of xfce with something else in the
> case of Ubuntu. It's not like if you were to build yet another brand new
> Linux distribution. Ubuntu comes with GNOME by default, and that's fine.
>
> If you remove xfwm4 and replace it with metacity, or replace the panel
> with GNOME panel, xfdesktop with, humm, dunno what ;) or even replace
> Thunar with Nautilus, then what is the point of using Xfce at all? Users
> may choose to replace some components, that's the greatness of
> interoperability, but that's not the point.
>
> Now, using evolution, gdm, GNOME terminal (although I personally prefer
> Benny's Terminal) would perfectly make sense IMHO. We have no plan to
> reinvent the wheel, build yet another Tetris, gimp, openoffice or whatever.
>
> Of course, as a package maintainer, the choice remains yours, you can
> pick up any application you want to and build whatever fits the users
> needs best, the I'm just drawing my own views of the whole picture.
>
> Cheers,
> Olivier.

My sixpence. I myself use Ubuntu Breezy with XFCE (svn version) and I
like the idea of Xubuntu. However, I agree with Olivier. I do not see a
point to replace existing xfce components with something else. Any user
who wants to do it can follow one of HOWTOs and do it her/himself. Also
I guess it is not a good idea to mix development and stable versions of
components. I would prefer to see Xubuntu with official stable release
of xfce. SVN version I use works great, but it still has some bugs and
problems, which may be quite annoying for those how just want a stable
system.