goodies-management

Jannis Pohlmann info at sten-net.de
Mon Aug 15 14:39:26 CEST 2005

Benedikt Meurer schrieb:
> Jannis Pohlmann wrote:
>
>>Of course there would be no restriction to goodies. Having said this,
>>the manager shouldn't be based on Xfce libraries - otherwise installing
>>installing Xfce using the manager would require Xfce to be already
>>installed. We thought about writing it in C and GTK+ (of course) so that
>>should be no problem.
>

> C/GTK would be ok, but I think it would be better to use PyGTK here to
> make it easier to develop and use. That way user won't need to install
> any thing, just untar the installer and run it (PyGTK is more likely to
> be installed than gtk-devel today).

PyGTK should be ok, too. I would have to refresh my knowledge about
Python a little, but - as already mentioned - I have all the time in the
world, that shouldn't be a problem.

Anyway, doesn't nearly everything (Xfce libraries as well as the
goodies) require gtk-devel?

>>"package list" != "description file"? - I just want to be sure I didn't
>>misunderstand what you meant. The package list includes all packages
>>available (with name, URLs etc.), while the descriptions file includes
>>goodie-specific information (build options etc.), right?
>

> Depends. You could either put everything into the package list or have a
> package list file and a description file (for every package). Both have
> advantages and disadvantages.

Right. I asked Johannes - we both prefer the separated solution for
several reasons.

- Jannis