goodies-management

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Mon Aug 15 14:32:08 CEST 2005

Jannis Pohlmann wrote:
> Of course there would be no restriction to goodies. Having said this,
> the manager shouldn't be based on Xfce libraries - otherwise installing
> installing Xfce using the manager would require Xfce to be already
> installed. We thought about writing it in C and GTK+ (of course) so that
> should be no problem.

C/GTK would be ok, but I think it would be better to use PyGTK here to
make it easier to develop and use. That way user won't need to install
any thing, just untar the installer and run it (PyGTK is more likely to
be installed than gtk-devel today).

> "package list" != "description file"? - I just want to be sure I didn't
> misunderstand what you meant. The package list includes all packages
> available (with name, URLs etc.), while the descriptions file includes
> goodie-specific information (build options etc.), right?

Depends. You could either put everything into the package list or have a
package list file and a description file (for every package). Both have
advantages and disadvantages.

> - Jannis

Benedikt