mailwatch stability

Benedikt Meurer benny at xfce.org
Fri Aug 12 12:09:19 CEST 2005

Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
>>I've been using the mailwatch plugin pretty heavily for a while now, and
>>aside from the weird crash I fixed last night, I haven't had any
>>problems with it.  Sooooo... what do you think -- should it remain an
>>external package, or do you want to merge it into
>>xfce4-panel/trunk/plugins/?  I'm fine either way.  I don't imagine it
>>needs much more (if anything) in the way of features, and releasing
>>bugfixes with the panel is fine.  I'll probably do a few external
>>releases before 4.4 so people can actually use it, though.  Thoughts?
>
> I love the plugin, for starters, and I will remove the current mail checker.
>
> The mailwatch plugin is big enough to be its own package, but it also
> should be a core component, IMO. So, in fact, I don't know what the best
> option is ;-)

Hm, I don't use either of the mail plugins, and I know quite a lot of
people that don't use any mail checker plugin as well. So - not speaking
about packaging on the distributors side here - I'm not sure if it
should really be a core component, as it's not a vital thing
(nevertheless it's useful for many people, I'm sure).

But there was some discussion previously to not blow the core further,
but keep it small instead. Personally, I think of a mail checker as a
goodie rather than a core component.

In general I'd vote to keep only the most basic (and vital) panel
plugins in the core (like the launcher, the pager, the system buttons,
the separator and probably one of the date/time plugins), and move all
other plugins to the goodies repositories (grouping them by category if
possible).

Just my 2 cents, tho.

> 	Jasper

Benedikt