side-by-side install weirdness revisited

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Wed Oct 27 10:12:46 CEST 2004

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

> Randy Chung wrote:
>
>> Damn it, all those hours spent pulling my hair out over this nonsense
>> :P  Benny's solution's kind of nifty, though.  It'd be nice and easy
>> if distros were to put xfce-stable in a different location, but in
>> the meantime it's up to dirty hacks to make it work :/
>

> yep, that's the best idea.  i often wonder why gentoo installs KDE to
> /usr/kde/$version, while installing gnome to /usr...  and of course
> xfce to /usr as well.  annoying.  personally, i'm a fan of /opt, but
> gentoo's policy on that is to use it for binary/non-OSS stuff, or
> stuff that just doesn't fit into the normal linux FHS.
>
> /me waits for all the lunar guys to start flaming me about using
> lunar... again ^_~

sorry I just missed that and had visitors yesterday...

anyway I won't flame just spam, lunar has the option to install
KDE/GNOME/XFCE in a completely customized PREFIX... it will work for all
related packages by just:

$ lunar set GNOME_PREFIX /opt/gnome
$ lunar set KDE_PREFIX /opt/lunar/kde/3
$ lunar set XFCE_PREFIX /usr

even pkgconfig path etc are adjusted on the fly when adding
xfce/khe/gneume applications

</spam>

sofar

PS personally I install ALL of them in /usr, I never understood why you
would want it somewhere else unless you compile it yourself ;^)