QA 4.2 : KDE services persist when cancelled

purslow at sympatico.ca purslow at sympatico.ca
Fri Oct 15 17:22:37 CEST 2004

041015 Robert Klein wrote:
> On Freitag, 15. Oktober 2004 06:52, David Fraser wrote:
>> purslow at sympatico.ca wrote:
>>>following the discussion earlier today, i thought i would
>>> compare KDE & Xfce start-up times without any applications &
>>> KDE services in Xfce. i closed everything which was running
>>> on desktops in both environments & in Xfce 4.2 unchecked the
>>> box to start KDE services in the settings manager. when i
>>> rebooted & restarted Xfce, KDE services started regardless,
>>>
>>>as shown by Pstree in an Xterm & by instant opening of a
>Knsole afterwards:
>>>     |-kdeinit---kdeinit
>>>     |-2*[kdeinit]
>>>     |-keventd
>>>     |-khubd
>>>     |-kio_uiserver
>>>     |-klogd
>>>     |-7*[konqueror]
>>>     |-kreiserfsd
>>>     |-kscand
>>>     |-ksoftirqd_CPU0
>>>     |-kswapd
>>>     |-kupdated
>>>
>>> ~/.config/xfce4-session/xfce4-session.rc  still contains
>>>
>>>  LaunchKDE=false
>>>
>>>it looks as if when KDE services are unchecked in the
>>> settings manager, no note is made for use by the session
>>> manager not to restart them as part of the otherwise empty
>>> new session.
>>>
>>>the work-around would be to kill all the above processes
>>> before logout, but it does look like a small oversight in
>>> the session-manager's behaviour, which perhaps deserves to
>>> be fixed before 4.2-final.
>>>
>>>i believe someone else may have mentioned this under another
>>> thread.
>> I think you need to understand the following:
>> Any KDE application requires the KDE libraries to start up.
>> So if you use LaunchKDE or not,
>> starting konsole will mean they have to start up.

you really do have to read my messages in full
-- i'm trying to remember not to confuse people with abbreviations -- :
as i carefully described above, i did not start Konsole
till after -- do i have to write that in capitals ? -- starting Xterm
& making the list of running processes which i gave an extract from.
those KDE processes were started automatically by Xfce,
even though i had unchecked the box to start KDE services
& killed all KDE applications before exiting Xfce (& rebooted).

i have found the explanation: see below.

> I think the point is rather, even if you close konsole
> (and every other KDE app) before leaving xfce
> some kde parts (kdeinit) are still running.

precisely !

> It would be nice if xfce could automagically see this
> and _not_ restart those parts
> when "Launch KDE services on startup" is disabled.

that's exactly what i suggested in my original message.

> BTW afaik only kdeinit, kio_uiserver and konquerer in your list
> are kde things; the rest are Linux kernel stuff

yes, i have since checked one of the others & found that out (thanks).

there was one other very long explanation of the difference
between Xfce & KDE, which i will read later: i believe i already understand.
however, i appreciate the writer's effort.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,  Philip Webb : purslow at chass.utoronto.ca