QA 4.2 : KDE services persist when cancelled

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 20:41:34 CEST 2004

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 11:22:37 -0400, purslow at sympatico.ca
<purslow at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> 041015 Robert Klein wrote:

> >Knsole afterwards:

> >> I think you need to understand the following:
> >> Any KDE application requires the KDE libraries to start up.
> >> So if you use LaunchKDE or not,
> >> starting konsole will mean they have to start up.
>
> you really do have to read my messages in full
> -- i'm trying to remember not to confuse people with abbreviations -- :
> as i carefully described above, i did not start Konsole
> till after -- do i have to write that in capitals ?

No, caps would be bad.

Initially this is actually the behaviour I thought you were
describing. I convinced myself otherwise. Sorry.

My guess is that KDE is registering those services with the session
manager. it's then the session managers job to bring up those
services. You can file it away as a KDE misfeature if you like. KDE
apps are designed to run in the KDE environment. Take apps out of
that, and the design starts to show some problems

-Erik

-- starting Xterm
> & making the list of running processes which i gave an extract from.
> those KDE processes were started automatically by Xfce,
> even though i had unchecked the box to start KDE services
> & killed all KDE applications before exiting Xfce (& rebooted).
>
> i have found the explanation: see below.
>
> > I think the point is rather, even if you close konsole
> > (and every other KDE app) before leaving xfce
> > some kde parts (kdeinit) are still running.
>
> precisely !
>
> > It would be nice if xfce could automagically see this
> > and _not_ restart those parts
> > when "Launch KDE services on startup" is disabled.
>
> that's exactly what i suggested in my original message.
>
> > BTW afaik only kdeinit, kio_uiserver and konquerer in your list
> > are kde things; the rest are Linux kernel stuff
>
> yes, i have since checked one of the others & found that out (thanks).
>
> there was one other very long explanation of the difference
> between Xfce & KDE, which i will read later: i believe i already understand.
> however, i appreciate the writer's effort.
>

> --
> SUPPORT     ___________//___,  Philip Webb : purslow at chass.utoronto.ca
> ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|  Centre for Urban & Community Studies
> TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'  University of Toronto

-Erik