QA 4.2 : KDE services persist when cancelled

Robert Klein RoKlein at roklein.de
Fri Oct 15 07:13:37 CEST 2004

On Freitag, 15. Oktober 2004 06:52, David Fraser wrote:
> purslow at sympatico.ca wrote:
> >following the discussion earlier today, i thought i would
> > compare KDE & Xfce start-up times without any applications &
> > KDE services in Xfce. i closed everything which was running
> > on desktops in both environments & in Xfce 4.2 unchecked the
> > box to start KDE services in the settings manager. when i
> > rebooted & restarted Xfce, KDE services started regardless,
> >
> >as shown by Pstree in an Xterm & by instant opening of a
Konsole afterwards:
> >     |-kdeinit---kdeinit
> >     |-2*[kdeinit]
> >     |-keventd
> >     |-khubd
> >     |-kio_uiserver
> >     |-klogd
> >     |-7*[konqueror]
> >     |-kreiserfsd
> >     |-kscand
> >     |-ksoftirqd_CPU0
> >     |-kswapd
> >     |-kupdated
> >
> > ~/.config/xfce4-session/xfce4-session.rc  still contains
> >
> >  LaunchKDE=false
> >
> >it looks as if when KDE services are unchecked in the
> > settings manager, no note is made for use by the session
> > manager not to restart them as part of the otherwise empty
> > new session.
> >
> >the work-around would be to kill all the above processes
> > before logout, but it does look like a small oversight in
> > the session-manager's behaviour, which perhaps deserves to
> > be fixed before 4.2-final.
> >
> >i believe someone else may have mentioned this under another
> > thread.
>
> Hi Phillip
>
> I think you need to understand the following:
> Any KDE application requires the KDE libraries to start up.
> So if you use LaunchKDE or not, starting konsole will mean
> they have to start up.
> What you call a "work-around" is actually the solution.
> You *can't* use konsole without starting the KDE libraries.
> So trying to speed this up is pointless - its not xfce that's
> slow, its konsole, because it uses all the KDE libraries.
>
> Do you understand this?

I think the point is rather, even if you close konsole (and every
other KDE app) before leaving xfce some kde parts (kdeinit) are
still running...  It would be nice if xfce could automagically
see this and _not_ restart those parts when "Launch KDE services
on startup" is disabled...

(BTW, Phillip, afaik only kdeinit, kio_uiserver and konquerer in
your list above are kde things; the rest are Linux kernel stuff)

Regards,
Robert