is Xfce getting too bloated ?

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Thu Oct 14 21:31:27 CEST 2004

purslow at sympatico.ca wrote:

> the point i really want(ed) to make is not so much that Xfce has got slower
> -- though it has -- , but that KDE has got a lot faster in starting up.
> there is very little difference in start-up time between KDE 3.3.0
> before it starts applications (there's a bar & percent chart for it all)
> & Xfce 4.0.6 without the session manager, 4.2 being about the same
> or perhaps a bit slower due to the menu configuration.

Well, that's definitely a compliment for KDE then ;)

Seriously, though, is there anything you'd like to see Xfce do
differently on startup? Well apart from starting instantly, that is ;^)

> i can't understand why others want to make an issue of KDE services,
> which they describe as an extra when starting Xfce.
> if you use the session manager -- after all, an important addition to 4.2 --
> & you start a normal range of applications,
> you are very likely to start some KDE items, which are among the best.
> Xfce does not have a terminal -- really, it's too primitive to use --
> nor a browser nor games, nor hopefully will it try to add such things
> (ok maybe a terminal, if it ever gets fully worked out).

I guess someone needs to write a qtce ;-)

> again, the issue is not how fast Xfce 4.2 is with or without session-managing,
> but how much faster it is than its principal competitor, ie hardly at all.

We can't help that if you use that many KDE apps. This means you start
KDE anyway. We do try though, so suggestions for improvements are very
welcome.

Thanks,
	Jasper