Integrating GFC into Xfce

Jeff Franks jcf at tpg.com.au
Wed Oct 13 16:13:10 CEST 2004

Benedikt Meurer wrote:

> [snip]
>
>> I like the names Xfce-Core and Xfce-UI so I'll work with those. Using
>> these names means that other relevent classes/objects/files could be
>> added to the modules if required without contradicting the module
>> name. Using the library naming scheme you mentioned the library names
>> for the modules would be libxfccore4.<suffix> and libxfcui4.<suffix>.
>> The .pc files would be xfccore4.pc and xfcui4.pc. Does that sound OK.
>

> Please use xfccore4-1.pc or something like that. In case of drastic
> changes before Xfce5, we can safely increment that number to
> work-around these changes and do not need to break all existing
> installations.
>
>> [snip]
>

> I don't like "XFC" for the namespace. Uppercase names should be
> reserved for constants and macros IMHO. I'd vote for "Xfc" or "Xfce"
> for the toplevel namespace.
>
> As with the .pc files: Please use $includedir/xfce4/xfc-1/xfc/... for
> the header files, so we are safe here. Then in the .pc file, use:

Can I use the current GFC scheme (same as gtkmm)  which uses the <major
+ minor> version numbers as a suffix.

$includedir/xfce4/xfc-4.4/xfc/... for the header files

and

xfccore-4.4.pc and xfcui-4.4.pc

then in Xfce 4.6 it could be

$includedir/xfce4/xfc-4.6/xfc/... for the header files

and

xfccore-4.6.pc and xfcui-4.6.pc

Jeff Franks.