Integrating GFC into Xfce

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed Oct 13 06:53:03 CEST 2004

Jeff Franks wrote:

> Can I use the current GFC scheme (same as gtkmm)  which uses the
> <major + minor> version numbers as a suffix.
>
> $includedir/xfce4/xfc-4.4/xfc/... for the header files
>
> and
>
> xfccore-4.4.pc and xfcui-4.4.pc
>
> then in Xfce 4.6 it could be
>
> $includedir/xfce4/xfc-4.6/xfc/... for the header files
>
> and
>
> xfccore-4.6.pc and xfcui-4.6.pc

i'd prefer it if you didn't.  i don't really see the point.  for one
thing, if the libraries aren't versioned such that you can keep 4.4,
4.6, etc. in parallel, this isn't useful at all, and could cause
problems.  secondly, we won't be breaking binary (or source) compat
until 5.0, so there's no need to keep around older headers.

speaking of binary compat... i think you mentioned earlier that your
wrappers don't include deprecated gtk widgets like GtkOptionMenu.  this
isn't a problem for us, since, as you mention, we use gtk directly in
xfce, and not your wrapper.  but still, i think it's generally a bad
practice.  if people see a binding that claims to be compatible with gtk
2.4, they'll logically assume that it's also compatible with 2.2 and
2.0, since gtk itself follows this policy.

    -brian