Integrating GFC into Xfce

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Tue Oct 12 19:48:52 CEST 2004

Jeff Franks wrote:
> Benedikt  and Edscott,

Hey Jeff,

> As for the GTK+ version numbers, GFC requires GTK 2.4 because it
> includes all the new 2.4 widgets, such as GtkFileChooser and
> GtkUIManager, and has removed the deprecated widgets GtkItemFactory,
> GtkOptionMenu and GtkCombo. I should be able to continue with this
> dependancy because you wont be looking at stable integration until after
> Xfce 4.2, perhaps Xfce 4.4. Using the Xfce4 version numbers will mean
> that XFC will only ever be able to wrap the minimun GTK+ requirement for
> the Xfce desktop version it is released with. Will the first Xfce 4.4
> beta version be 4.3.90. If so, can I tentatively work with this version
> number in configure.ac.

Please start with 4.3.0. 4.3.90 is the version number for the very first
beta/alpha release for 4.4. If you'd use that from the beginning, we
couldn't increment it in the meantime, which means we cannot safely
depend on newly added features during the 4.4 development process.

It's ok to start with gtk 2.4, as it'll be the target for 4.4 (maybe gtk
2.6, if they manage to release soon).

> I like the names Xfce-Core and Xfce-UI so I'll work with those. Using
> these names means that other relevent classes/objects/files could be
> added to the modules if required without contradicting the module name.
> Using the library naming scheme you mentioned the library names for the
> modules would be libxfccore4.<suffix> and libxfcui4.<suffix>. The .pc
> files would be xfccore4.pc and xfcui4.pc. Does that sound OK.

Please use xfccore4-1.pc or something like that. In case of drastic
changes before Xfce5, we can safely increment that number to work-around
these changes and do not need to break all existing installations.

> The primary namespace in GFC was 'GFC'. So that users know the files are
> Xfce files/classes/objects perhaps the primary namespace should be Xfce
> rather than XFC. This would result in class name syntax like
> Xfce::Gtk::Window instead of XFC::Gtk::Window (which do you prefer).
> This would mean the only place using the XFC letters would be the
> installation directories, such as $includedir/xfce4/xfc and the library
> names.

I don't like "XFC" for the namespace. Uppercase names should be reserved
for constants and macros IMHO. I'd vote for "Xfc" or "Xfce" for the
toplevel namespace.

As with the .pc files: Please use $includedir/xfce4/xfc-1/xfc/... for
the header files, so we are safe here. Then in the .pc file, use:

Cflags: -I${includedir}/xfce4/xfc-1 ...

> Jeff Franks.

regards,
Benedikt