4.2 QA : Xffm button buglet

edscott wilson garcia edscott at xfce.org
Tue Oct 12 18:30:28 CEST 2004

El mar, 12-10-2004 a las 10:58, purslow at sympatico.ca escribió:
> 041011 edscott wilson garcia wrote:
> > El lun, 11-10-2004 a las 16:35, purslow at sympatico.ca escribió:
> >> great work etc, but in the file manager as it defaults for me,
> >> there are  2  print buttons on the screen: is this intended ?
> > Yes. The side bar is dynamic, so it shouldn't stay that way for long.
> > The tool bar as well. So it is possible to have a duplicated button.
>
> thanks: that's clear enough now; any reason why that one is default ?

Yes. It is the equivalent of a hard to get to submenu in the popup, so
by showing it as default, the user is notified of its existance and of
the existance of the sidebar. Any changes made by user (hiding sidebar
or changing it) are then saved for the user.

> > To make the sidebar go away, click on it with button 3.
> > To make a sidebar appear --  at least six possible sidebars,
> > more if  ./configure --enable-panel  -- , click with button-3
> > on any active toolbar button that has a tiny blob (supposed to be arrow)
> > on the lower right hand corner.
> > You can also access the buttons that would appear in the sidebar
> > by clicking the toolbar with button-1 and not releasing.
>
> yes, very cute (big smile)!  however, there doesn't seem to be a rationale
> for the way the tools are organised in the various sidebars
> or for the top-bar tool they are associated with: is it arbitrary ?

Or my rationale is not that rational ;-)

The first sidebar is for launching common use programs: terminal, find,
differences, printer configuration (list pasteboard and clear pasteboard
somehow slipped in there too).

The second is for executing arbitrary programs or subprograms of xffm
like xfbook, xfsamba...

The third is for moving around: goto, go home, jump to ...

The fourth is for look-n-feel: preferences, icon-theme-editor,
xfce-setting-show, change icon size...

The fifth is for paste: plain paste and symlink paste.

The sixth is for functions where you need at least one path selected to
work: properties, new file, new directory.

The seventh (default) is for functions where you need exactly one path
selected: rename, duplicate, print...

Also, the grouping of the toolbar buttons is the same in the main menu,
so you can see texts of what each one does.

> > Activate and change by selecting and releasing button-1.
> > If you hold down CTRL while releasing,
> > you will change the top button but not activate signal.
>
> those i don't understand: could you try again ?

Press button  without releasing. A popup of buttons will appear. Move
mouse over one of the popup item buttons. Release button. The function
will be called (button receive press signal) and the button you will now
see on the tool bar changes to this button. This way the toolbar always
has the last used button of each group. If you just want to change the
button which appears in the toolbar, do the same with the CTL key press.
That way the toolbar button will change but the function of the button
will not be called.

> also, there are  2  bars across the top: the tool-bar & the one above;
> the tool-bar takes up only the left-hand half of the bar
> & the one above has only 'Main menu' & the bar/pane controls at far right.
> wouldn't it be better to drop 'Main menu', which you get by R-click anyway,
> & put the bar/pane controls on the same line as the tool-bar,
> thereby freeing up more of the screen for the file lists ?
> as things are, there doesn't seem to be any way to hide 'Main menu'.

Only way to to get rid of main menu is to "./configure --disable-menu",
but you are still left with the buttons on right. Also, the filter box
appears on this bar as well, but you probably have it hidden. To unhide
you have to press one of the buttons on the right. Also, when you hide
the bottom toolbar, an unhide button will appear on the top right.

The logic of the buttons on the top right is that they are for quick
toggling of the look-n-feel.

regards,

Edscott