how to use 4.0.6 & 4.2.0 simultaneously

purslow at sympatico.ca purslow at sympatico.ca
Tue Oct 5 03:58:48 CEST 2004

041004 Randy Chung wrote:
> purslow at sympatico.ca wrote:
>> i have KDE 3.2.3 & 3.3.0 happily installed alongside one another:
>> why wd Xfce be different ?
>> so how shd i go about "setting up my environment" for 4.2 ?
>> i'm not complaining (smile), but you're not responding to the problem.
> Right now, it's not officially supported, so don't expect it to work,
> and don't expect for support from the developers to put it in :)

well, i'm trying to be helpful to the developers by testing it for them
& i can't do that if i can't get 4.2 to start as 4.2 (another smile).

the installer runs beautifully (except for the window being sticky)
& writes lots of stuff in various dirs in  /usr/local ,
but there doesn't seem to be any way to get it to start as 4.2 .
the presence of 4.0.6 shdn't make a difference,
as the  2  versions use different config dirs, ie  ~/.config  ~/.xfce4 .
i've looked in the 4.2 versions of  startxfce4  xinitrc ,
but can't see any obvious reason why it's picking up the 4.0.6 material.

> I think Benny is currently working on getting the installation process
> set up so that you can have both.  I'm also working on it
> during my spare time as well, and I think we may be upon a solution.

so have lots of encouragement from me,
but currently there doesn't seem to be a way of testing 4.2
even if 4.0.6 were not already installed ...

BT has what he calls 'garxfce4' -- i've had a look at his site -- :
mt that be a better way of getting 4.2 to work ?
does he have any comment ?

SUPPORT     ___________//___,  Philip Webb : purslow at chass.utoronto.ca