Hinting settings and Firefox

Sun Nov 21 18:25:13 CET 2004

On Sun, 2004-11-21 at 14:01 +0100, Richard Stellingwerff wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I like to have my desktop fonts non-hinted. However, there's a problem
> with Mozilla Firefox.
>
> The (lack of) hinting is not applied to Mozilla Firefox until I enter
> the "User Interface Settings" dialog, and toggle the Hinting checkbox
> on and then off again (the initial state). For all other GTK2 apps I
> have tested so far, hinting is disabled as soon as I log into XFCE.
>
> I'm not sure if this is a Firefox bug, or an XFCE bug. The version I'm
> using is XFCE 4.1.91 and Mozilla Firefox 1.0.
>
> What kind of things does the UI Settings dialog do when I toggle the
> hinting checkbox on and off again, which aparently has effect on
> Mozilla Firefox after restarting Firefox?
>
> Kind regards,
> Richard Stellingwerff.

Which Linux distro and where did you get Firefox from?

If by chance, you are using FC3 (which I do), there is a known issue,
which is noted in the Firefox Release Notes at:

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/releases/#install

The particular note is:

GNOME integration does not work properly with Fedora Core 3. Users of
Fedora Core 3 will need to download and install linc-1.0.3-3.1.i386.rpm.
After installing the RPM, perform the following command in the directory
you installed Firefox into (you will need write permission):

touch .autoreg

The next time you start Firefox, GNOME integration should be functional.

The link for the RPM above is:

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/2/i386/os/Fedora/RPMS/linc-1.0.3-3.1.i386.rpm

I am not sure if the issue is resolved by default in the Firefox RPM
available via the normal FC3 update channels and if the bug above
applies only to the installation tarball available via the Firefox site.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz