Hinting settings and Firefox

Richard Stellingwerff remenic at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 14:01:49 CET 2004

Hi,

I like to have my desktop fonts non-hinted. However, there's a problem
with Mozilla Firefox.

The (lack of) hinting is not applied to Mozilla Firefox until I enter
the "User Interface Settings" dialog, and toggle the Hinting checkbox
on and then off again (the initial state). For all other GTK2 apps I
have tested so far, hinting is disabled as soon as I log into XFCE.

I'm not sure if this is a Firefox bug, or an XFCE bug. The version I'm
using is XFCE 4.1.91 and Mozilla Firefox 1.0.

What kind of things does the UI Settings dialog do when I toggle the
hinting checkbox on and off again, which aparently has effect on
Mozilla Firefox after restarting Firefox?

Kind regards,
Richard Stellingwerff.