RC1 : session management still not there

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Thu Nov 18 11:04:15 CET 2004

On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 04:30:38AM -0500, purslow at sympatico.ca wrote:

> anyway, this horse -- not yet a thoroughbred (smile) --
> needs no more flogging at least till 4.4 ,
> by which time hopefully its hardworking trainer will have won the race.
>
> i can't say "thanx" because i'm not using it, but do be encouraged:
> the SM will be well worth the effort when it's working properly.

You have to remember though, that X session management is a protocol that
needs support from both the manager and the clients, and the window manager as
well.

While our current implementation may not be perfect, I believe it is one of
the better implementations available, supporting both X11R6- and X11R5-style
session management (IIRC).

So, many of the problems you are seeing may be caused by insufficient
support from the client side. This is a hard problem to solve, but we are
trying.

	Jasper