RC1 compile/link error

Brad Cowan bcowan at gentoo.org
Mon Nov 15 22:28:32 CET 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 05:02 -0800, Randy Chung wrote:
> purslow at sympatico.ca wrote:
> >
> > do other projects perhaps not use Libtool ?  if so, why does Xfce4 use it ?
> > if they do use it, why do they not have the same problems with versions ?
> > could you learn something from Gentoo's slots ?
>
> They do use it, and they do have the same problems; see Benedikt's post
> on gnome 2.6/2.8.  Xfce can't "learn something" from Gentoo's slots
> because these are orthogonal problems; it is up to
> Gentoo/Debian/Fedora/whoever to package things properly so they don't
> clobber each other.  You should instead be asking "could the Gentoo Xfce
> packager learn something from the Gentoo KDE packagers.>

I just wanted to chime in, I'm sorry that I don't really feel the need
to spend hours hacking up ebuilds to run all versions of Xfce
simultaneously. IMHO 4.2 is leaps and bounds better than 4.0 anyway, I
see nothing that 4.0 can do that 4.2 can't do better, but that's just my
opinion. If you feel like hacking the builds I'd definately look/try to
get them in portage. I'm just not going to spend the time right now
doing it, maybe if there's a major version change and total rewrite like
from 3-4 or in this case 4-5 I might consider doing it myself. I also
think the Xfce dev's time is better spent adding new features/squashing
bugs than trying to make sure every version is backward install
compatible with the next. I just want to make sure this isn't a Gentoo
flame as it basically applies to most, but maybe not all, of the other
distros out there too.

--
Brad Cowan <bcowan at gentoo.org>
Developer,

Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB1F16A56
Key fingerprint = C408 75B9 E68D 26E2 EAAE  20CF 4D5E 293D B1F1 6A56