RC1 compile/link error

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Mon Nov 15 14:19:36 CET 2004

Randy Chung wrote:
>> do other projects perhaps not use Libtool ?  if so, why does Xfce4 use
>> it ?
>> if they do use it, why do they not have the same problems with versions ?
>> could you learn something from Gentoo's slots ?
>
> They do use it, and they do have the same problems; see Benedikt's post
> on gnome 2.6/2.8.  Xfce can't "learn something" from Gentoo's slots
> because these are orthogonal problems; it is up to
> Gentoo/Debian/Fedora/whoever to package things properly so they don't
> clobber each other.  You should instead be asking "could the Gentoo Xfce
> packager learn something from the Gentoo KDE packager's slots?"

Exactly. So, as a rule of thumb: Be aware that, whenever you install 3rd
party software to /usr (no matter if you do that by hand or using a
distributions packages), you will probably break things like
side-by-side installation of conflicting package versions and possibly
other things.

Purslow, please don't feel attacked by us, but you need to understand
that we don't have time to care about and fix problems/bugs in Gentoo or
any other Linux distribution. Thats really up to the distributors and
not our business.

regards,
Benedikt