RC1 compile/link error

Randy Chung aoshi at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Nov 15 14:02:08 CET 2004

purslow at sympatico.ca wrote:

> do other projects perhaps not use Libtool ?  if so, why does Xfce4 use it ?
> if they do use it, why do they not have the same problems with versions ?
> could you learn something from Gentoo's slots ?

They do use it, and they do have the same problems; see Benedikt's post
on gnome 2.6/2.8.  Xfce can't "learn something" from Gentoo's slots
because these are orthogonal problems; it is up to
Gentoo/Debian/Fedora/whoever to package things properly so they don't
clobber each other.  You should instead be asking "could the Gentoo Xfce
packager learn something from the Gentoo KDE packager's slots?"

> i've been reading & occasionally contributing to this list since c May 2003
> & i don't remember seeing any discussion of this issue
> except for the rather irritable reactions to my own messages.

I beat this topic to death with others (Brian comes to mind offhand, I'm
sure there are some others) back around July/August.  It resurfaced
again a few months thereafter (for just a moment).  It's back again now.

> if you're getting tired of the problem,
> why not give a higher priority to solving it ?
> as i said above, other projects don't seem to suffer from it.
> there can be no question about the ability of Xfce4 developers
> nor about the time & effort they put in, but i do question priorities:
> look at all the new bells & whistles being daily debated on this list,
> while a fundamental problem has been shunted aside.

This isn't a problem that is up to Xfce to fix; either libtool or the
distributors need to patch themselves up.  AFAIK, the libtool guys are
aware of the problem and have fixed it in their newest release, at which
point this problem will (hopefully) go away; at the least, it'll
probably give me something to work with in trying to find a workaround.

Anyways, the point's getting beaten to death again; suffice to say it's
not going to get fixed from the Xfce group because it can't (without
some really evil nasty hack that shouldn't happen).  That's just the way
the cookie crumbles.

--

Randy