RC1 compile/link error

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Mon Nov 15 10:56:24 CET 2004

purslow at sympatico.ca wrote:

>pursuing my own investigations outlined in my previous messages,
>i followed BT's brief advice, created a dir  /usr/lib/xfce406
>& then in  /usr/lib  did 'mv libxf* xfce406'.  now the linker fails with:
>
>  libtool: link: cannot find the library `/usr/lib/libxfce4util.la'
>
>so the problem is that it's looking in the wrong place,
>not that it's finding the wrong item,
>which tends to confirm my suggestion in my previous message,
>ie that there are  3 lines  missing in the Makefile.

well I have noticed that libtools .la files often keep referring to
nonexistant libraries, st that screws up libs && includes especially as
stuff gets moved around. The only real way to get around it is

1) start off with xfce-4.0.x in an isolated location that can be "locked
off", this will allow you to make sure libtool isn't actually secretly
using it without you knowing

2) wipe everything that refers to the wrong libs ... a tedious manual
job with 'strings' ... quite annoying to do.

the problem is that libtool is supposed to do magic and fails to do the
proper magic as soon as you start mixing versions of libraries. unless
there are ways of denying libtool access to certain locations ... you're
screwed.

I'm sorry if I sounded patronising but I have learned the hard way in
the last 2/3 years working with this stuff as a distro maintainer. I
also started out fiddling and tweaking... I do have a hint which would
be appropriate for what you are trying to do: read the output of 'make
install' in any of the xfce4- packages carefully, as it will show you
some pointers where to start. (note that any program using libtool
writes this message).

sofar

041115 Auke Kok wrote:

>> if you don't know how to do that already
>> then *honestly* you should not even be trying this yourself.

really, don't be so patronising (tries to smile): i needed a reminder
& had already found it in another file in one of the source dirs.

>> LD_LIBRARY_PATH is what you want,
>> but you are far better off removing 4.0.x

so please read my later messages to see what happened when i did that.
after you've read them, do you have any other suggestions ?