Xfce 4.1 alpha release?

Don Christensen djc at cisco.com
Thu Jun 24 17:30:58 CEST 2004

Benedikt Meurer wrote:
> Rather hacky and besides that it would not solve the problem. Take the
> display plugin for an example: If you put the resolution setting on both
> screens and imagine your two screens have different graphic cards with
> different possible resolutions, then xfce-mcs-manager will crash with an
> X error while trying to set the resolution of the second screen. Ok, we
> could ignore those X errors, but then again, people will wonder why
> their settings aren't applied correctly and thats more of a really dirty
> hack than something one would want to release as stable.

Sorry for interjecting into an argument in which I clearly have no place,
but it seems to me there is at the least a misunderstanding about how
settings behave in multiscreen.

I use multiscreen and CVS HEAD and don't really have problems with settings.
The main options that are at issue for me are background settings.  I don't
really use the screen resolution adjustements, but in both cases, the
settings dialogs have tabs for which screen to adjust.  As long as that
works properly, I see no reason why this is not plenty good enough for
a 4.2 release.  If there are any other cases where settings need to be
managed differently for different screens, it might make more sense to
do it the way the background image settings are done rather than to
re-work the MCS manager.

Sure, it might be nice to be able to have different themes, keyboard
settings, xffm settings, etc, across displays, but that could wait until
after 4.2.  It sounds like something that would need some thought and
some shake-out time.

I have finally found a DE that works the way I want it to and is going
in the direction I would like, so I really would hate to see the developers
fracture over an issue like this (and I've been where Olivier appears to
be right now and know that it's not a fun place to be).

-Don

--
Don Christensen       Senior Software Development Engineer
djc at cisco.com         Cisco Systems, Santa Cruz, CA