xfce4 weather plugin

Josh Howard jrh at zeppelin.net
Tue Jun 15 20:51:58 CEST 2004

"Brian J. Tarricone" <bjt23 at cornell.edu> writes:

> at any rate, i'm not sure that that really would buy the end-user
> anything.  they'd still have to install the same extra packages for the
> extra plugins.  however, if someone wanted to put together an
> "xfce4-plugins" package, and maintain and update it regularly, that
> would be cool.  still, having it in xfce proper doesn't sound like a
> good idea.

Fair enough. I guess it's mostly a maintenance issue, then. If these
plugins are not being actively supported, as in the case of the
weather plugin having known issues and no new package being created,
it'd seem there needs to be something more done. I suppose a new
maintainer or something like that.
My idea wasn't so much to suddenly have all of these plugins pop-up
in the xfce4-panel (or wherever) module, but more that they'd be
hosted by the xfce.org and be considered a user-contributed package
that is created along with the rest of the distribution so there is no
version skew. While you could run into issues with a bunch of people
with access to xfce, there are certainly permissions games you can
play so only certain people can modify the goodies.
I'm mostly concerned with avoiding library incompatibility issues and
making sure that when 4.1 or 2 or 3 come out that all of these
packages continue to work. Of course, all of my reactions here are
kind of knee jerk, since I haven't bothered to talk with the guy, but
as was pointed out, patches are floating around and not much has been
done to incorporate them.

--
Josh Howard <jrh at zeppelin.net>