xfce4 weather plugin

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Tue Jun 15 20:16:29 CEST 2004

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004, Josh Howard wrote:

> "Brian J. Tarricone" <bjt23 at cornell.edu> writes:
>
> > this is a known issue - i believe a patch was posted on the xfce-goodies
> > mailing list, but the author of the plugin (he's not associated with the
> > xfce project) hasn't released a new version, AFAIK.
> >
> > IIRC, there's a similar gtk_tree_view_column...() call a few lines below
> > the one you mention (or perhaps above) that also needs to be fixed.
>
> Ah, okay. Thanks. Has there been any thought to just folding some of
> these fun things right into the base xfce project? (I'm sure someone
> has thought about it.) It'd be kind of nice if some of these plugins
> were brought up to date and could be grabbed even more easily than
> the current method. I understand permission should be sought from the
> author.

many plugins are hosted on the xfce-goodies site (as i believe the
weather plugin is).  as for folding them into xfce proper, i'm not
in favor of that.  that would imply that we're maintaining them and will
support them, which we may or may not want to do.  if the original
authors wanted to continue maintenance, it would mean giving a bunch of
random people write access to xfce's CVS, which IMO isn't a good idea.

at any rate, i'm not sure that that really would buy the end-user
anything.  they'd still have to install the same extra packages for the
extra plugins.  however, if someone wanted to put together an
"xfce4-plugins" package, and maintain and update it regularly, that
would be cool.  still, having it in xfce proper doesn't sound like a
good idea.

	-brian