xfmusic4 alpha release

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 02:59:36 CEST 2004

I look at the lightweight/bloat issue this way - as a user.

XFce is highly modular - it is the Unix of modern desktop
environments. Every tool does one thing and does it well. Tools can be
mixed and matched with each other and other environments. When a tool
needs extensible functionality, it is performed though a simple plugin
design. When I hear lightweight my major concern is memory usage and
processor usage. This is usually a result of a well thought out and
small design.

Here is what I hate about Gnome- gconf and gnome-vfs. Just use
dotfiles for goodness sake. The problem with Gconf is that it's a huge
framework that works best if everything uses it - so everything does,
even when it is innappropriate. VFS has excessively rich semantics
which have been used to implement things bizarrely. I want to use the
Gnome panel - why should I have to use Nautilus to configure it? I
have to because the applications menu is configured through the
applications:// URI though gnome-vfs. ARG!

As long as tools are kept distinct, and as long as the framework
itself is not bloated, then I have no problem with adding apps.
Harddrive space is cheap and plentiful, and I can just not install the
bleeding thing if it bugs me. It's the inability to, say, uninstall
Nautilus if I want to use the panel that irks me about Gnome.

-Erik