Building XFCE on Cygwin

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Thu Jul 8 17:33:18 CEST 2004

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004, Maarten Boekhold wrote:

> >>Is it possible for the developers of XFCE to add an automake rule that,
> >>when on a cygwin system, will add the -no-undefined flag to the various
> >
> > i'm not quite sure why this is needed, since, IIRC, some of those
> > libraries do contain unresolved symbols (at link time, anyway).  seems
> > like adding -no-undefined would make it _not_ work.  then again, i don't
> > always understand libtool all that well....
>
> Hmmm, could somebody confirm this? (i.e. that there are unresolved
> symbols at link time that are required in the libraries).

just to clarify - libxfce4util, libxfcegui4, and libxfce4mcs should
_NOT_ have unresolved symbols at link time, but the MCS plugins and
panel plugins will, as most of them don't link with anything not
provided by the parent program.  if this is something that's needed on
windows, it shouldn't be that big a deal to add it.

> > hell, i wouldn't feel too great about it, and we all know how much i
> > like to b0rk things around here...  try checking out CVS HEAD.  it's
>
> Well, I just joined, so I don't know about your 'b0rking' yet. thanks
> for the warning :)

it's mainly a running joke...  every time something's broken, i get
blamed ^_~.

> > pretty stable most of the time (i run it both at home and at work).  in
> > that case, you should run autogen.sh instead of configure - this will
> > pull in the required system libtool for you.
>
> But wouldn't that require all users that want to build xfce to have
> autotools installed? Unless the distribution tar balls are created using
> the appropriate versions of course...

contrary to "most" other opensource projects, we _do_ keep autogenerated
files in CVS (Makefile.in, configure, etc.).  with most other OSS
projects, when you download their CVS version you _have_ to run
autogen.sh, as they don't provide all the files needed to just run
configure.  however, as i've noticed, libtool sometimes doesn't work
properly for our CVS version unless you run autogen.sh.  this will
presumably be fixed by the time we make a release, since dist tarballs
will of course not even include an autogen.sh script.

it just occurs to me that if you end up running autogen.sh, make sure
you have gtk-doc, as the CVS version of the xfce libs use gtk-doc, and
configure will fail to generate properly if you don't have gtk-doc
installed.  if that's not possible for you, doing your
copy-system-libtool trick should work ok, if you just run configure
afterwards.  in theory.

	-brian