Building XFCE on Cygwin

Maarten Boekhold boekhold at emirates.net.ae
Thu Jul 8 17:16:43 CEST 2004

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Jul 2004, Maarten Boekhold wrote:
>
> i'd be interested in your error output.  xfdesktop contains some Xlib

I'll first check out CVS (doing so now), and I'll try to do a bit more
work on this over the weekend, and will let you know how things go.

>>Is it possible for the developers of XFCE to add an automake rule that,
>>when on a cygwin system, will add the -no-undefined flag to the various
>
> i'm not quite sure why this is needed, since, IIRC, some of those
> libraries do contain unresolved symbols (at link time, anyway).  seems
> like adding -no-undefined would make it _not_ work.  then again, i don't
> always understand libtool all that well....

Hmmm, could somebody confirm this? (i.e. that there are unresolved
symbols at link time that are required in the libraries).

> hell, i wouldn't feel too great about it, and we all know how much i
> like to b0rk things around here...  try checking out CVS HEAD.  it's

Well, I just joined, so I don't know about your 'b0rking' yet. thanks
for the warning :)

> pretty stable most of the time (i run it both at home and at work).  in
> that case, you should run autogen.sh instead of configure - this will
> pull in the required system libtool for you.

But wouldn't that require all users that want to build xfce to have
autotools installed? Unless the distribution tar balls are created using
the appropriate versions of course...

Maarten