xfce4-session under Solaris

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Fri Jan 16 00:01:07 CET 2004

Chris Greenman wrote:
>>This is new to me. I didn't know that til now. What version of
>>xfce4-session you are using exactly (recent version provide a
>>--version command line
>
> --version doesn't give a version number but actually starts
> xfce4-session.  The version I'm running is the version that was packages
> with 4.0.3.1

As Olivier stated there is no package of xfce4-session in 4.0.3.1. I suggest
you checkout a fresh copy of xfce4-session from CVS HEAD and try that one.

>>option)? I need some more infos to fix this: What SM clients are
>>running (-> Session Control)?
>
> Not sure what you;re asking for here.

Right click on the system tray icon of xfce4-session and select "Session
Control". You will be presented with a list of clients that are currently
connected to the session manager.

>>Does manual session saving work?
>
> I don't think so.  I did try to save a session once but there is nothing
> in $HOME/.xfce4/sessions

That sounds like one of the SM clients is broken and did not complete the
SaveYourself phase as required. I'm currently working on a work-around for
broken applications.

>>Do you use smproxy?
>
> Good question.  I DO know that I get:
> /usr/local/etc/xfce4/default.session: smproxy: not found
> when xfce4-session starts.

Then you don't use it :-)

>>Have
>>you tried to logout while only the XFce components are running, that
>>is no xterms etc. but only the panel, the desktop, taskbar, wm and
>>maybe the iconbox?
>
> Yes.
>
>>Is it 100% reproducible
>
> Yes.

Since the XFce components are proven to work fine with xfce4-session the
problem seems to be something else.

>>there any message in .xsession-errors that could explain whats going
>>on here?
>
> Can't find .xsession-errors anywhere in my homedir.

What ever file the messages generated by your X session are logged to. I don't
remember where Solaris sends this to by default.

> Chris

regards,
Benedikt

--