.desktop files for settings panels

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Thu Feb 26 15:17:45 CET 2004

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 09:01:10AM -0500, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
>
> >Sounds very good. Should the icon be in $datadir/pixmaps or in
> >$datadir/themes/default/32x32/apps/ or something?
> >

> my reasoning here is that the icons themselves aren't themed, and so
> should go in $datadir/pixmaps.  if the directory layout spec deprecates
> $datadir/pixmaps in favor of the icon theme hierarchy even for
> non-themed icons, i guess we should use that anyway.  benny, you're most
> familiar with the directory spec...  thoughts?

Well, even if we don't provide themed icons, they are themeable, aren't
they? In that case I believe the spec states we should install them into
the hicolor theme, that is guaranteed to be available.

> >We should have more desktop files, probably. At least things like xffm
> >and xfrun, and perhaps even panel, iconbox, taskbar.
> >

> that's true... i was thinking mainly about the settings panels, but some
> of the apps should have them too.
>
> >Ok, but we should request an XFCE category too (if the others have
> >one...).
>
> yeah, probably.  i'm not exactly sure how to go about doing that...

Probably just send a mail to someone, or the xdg list. I'll look into
that.

> >>2) should "Gtk;" also be listed in the "Categories" string?
> >>

> >Nah, perhaps for our 'real' programs, like xffm.
> >

> i'm just looking at other settings apps from kde/gnome, and they seem to
> include Qt/Gtk.  i disagree with this, because i think the gui toolkit
> used is a rather lame way of categorising apps (xfdesktop totally
> ignores Qt/Gtk/KDE/GNOME for categorising purposes by default).  hence
> my uncertainty...

I agree with you 100%. For applcations it may make sense, because of
similar look and feel. I'd imagine if you use the menu spec you could
make a menu.xml file that only includes gtk apps.

> >Some other stuff about the settings manager:
> >
> >* I'd really like to start using the icons Nikola posted a while ago (I
> >have them somewhere).
> >

> hmm... i feel like i vaguely remember this... need to look through my
> archives.
>
> >* All our icons should use the icon theme if possible.
> >

> even stuff like settings panels, for which there's only one non-themed
> icon?  or are you suggesting that we should dig through exisiting
> themes, either using a stock themed icon, or creating our own?

Wouldn't that be nice? Even if we don't include the themed icons
ourselves, it would be nice to support it whereever possible, don't you
think? Or am I taking this too far now?

> >* All settings dialogs should use the same icon size in their header.
> >Olivier uses 32x32, so let's use that. At least the panel and xffm use
> >48x48.
> >

> huh, i didn't even notice they were different sizes until you just
> mentioned it...

Ha. Who said you were the only one allowed to nitpick about minor
details ;-)

	Jasper