.desktop files for settings panels

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Thu Feb 26 15:01:10 CET 2004

Jasper Huijsmans wrote:

>Sounds very good. Should the icon be in $datadir/pixmaps or in
>$datadir/themes/default/32x32/apps/ or something?

my reasoning here is that the icons themselves aren't themed, and so
should go in $datadir/pixmaps.  if the directory layout spec deprecates
$datadir/pixmaps in favor of the icon theme hierarchy even for
non-themed icons, i guess we should use that anyway.  benny, you're most
familiar with the directory spec...  thoughts?

>We should have more desktop files, probably. At least things like xffm
>and xfrun, and perhaps even panel, iconbox, taskbar.

that's true... i was thinking mainly about the settings panels, but some
of the apps should have them too.

> Ok, but we should request an XFCE category too (if the others have
> one...).

yeah, probably.  i'm not exactly sure how to go about doing that...

>>2) should "Gtk;" also be listed in the "Categories" string?
>>

>Nah, perhaps for our 'real' programs, like xffm.

i'm just looking at other settings apps from kde/gnome, and they seem to
include Qt/Gtk.  i disagree with this, because i think the gui toolkit
used is a rather lame way of categorising apps (xfdesktop totally
ignores Qt/Gtk/KDE/GNOME for categorising purposes by default).  hence
my uncertainty...

>Some other stuff about the settings manager:
>
>* I'd really like to start using the icons Nikola posted a while ago (I
>have them somewhere).

hmm... i feel like i vaguely remember this... need to look through my
archives.

>* All our icons should use the icon theme if possible.

even stuff like settings panels, for which there's only one non-themed
icon?  or are you suggesting that we should dig through exisiting
themes, either using a stock themed icon, or creating our own?

>* All settings dialogs should use the same icon size in their header.
>Olivier uses 32x32, so let's use that. At least the panel and xffm use
>48x48.

huh, i didn't even notice they were different sizes until you just
mentioned it...

    -brian