.desktop files for settings panels

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Thu Feb 26 16:30:45 CET 2004

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 09:01:10AM -0500, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> > Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
> >
> > >Sounds very good. Should the icon be in $datadir/pixmaps or in
> > >$datadir/themes/default/32x32/apps/ or something?
> > >

> > my reasoning here is that the icons themselves aren't themed, and so
> > should go in $datadir/pixmaps.  if the directory layout spec deprecates
> > $datadir/pixmaps in favor of the icon theme hierarchy even for
> > non-themed icons, i guess we should use that anyway.  benny, you're most
> > familiar with the directory spec...  thoughts?
> >

> Well, even if we don't provide themed icons, they are themeable, aren't
> they? In that case I believe the spec states we should install them into
> the hicolor theme, that is guaranteed to be available.

i suppose by that definition, _anything_ is themable ^_^.  but yes, the
hicolor theme does seem to make sense in this instance.  then we need to
start using GtkIconTheme in the settings panels as well..

> > >* All our icons should use the icon theme if possible.
> >
> > even stuff like settings panels, for which there's only one non-themed
> > icon?  or are you suggesting that we should dig through exisiting
> > themes, either using a stock themed icon, or creating our own?
>
> Wouldn't that be nice? Even if we don't include the themed icons
> ourselves, it would be nice to support it whereever possible, don't you
> think? Or am I taking this too far now?

oh, you can never take it too far ^_~.  i think you're going in the
right direction - in an ideal world, everything is themable.  well, ok,
in an ideal world, we don't need to do any coding - we just think about
what we want and it magically appears ^_~.

> > >* All settings dialogs should use the same icon size in their header.
> > >Olivier uses 32x32, so let's use that. At least the panel and xffm use
> > >48x48.
> >
> > huh, i didn't even notice they were different sizes until you just
> > mentioned it...
>
> Ha. Who said you were the only one allowed to nitpick about minor
> details ;-)

as a detail nitpicker, i am hereby ashamed of myself for not noticing
the icon size difference ^_~.

	-brian