[gentoo-user] Indian Language Support in GNOME 2.4 / XFCE4

purslow at sympatico.ca purslow at sympatico.ca
Sat Feb 7 18:39:58 CET 2004

[ i'm forwarding this from Gentoo User ]

----- Forwarded message from Aniruddha Shankar <karim at sarai.net> -----

Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2004 17:53:37 +0530
From: Aniruddha Shankar <karim at sarai.net>
To: gentoo-user at lists.gentoo.org
Subject: [gentoo-user] Indian Language Support in GNOME 2.4 / XFCE4

Easier to read version of this mini-HOWTO and comments at:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=133464

Indian Language support in GNOME2.4 & XFCE4

This mini-HOWTO details the steps involved in getting Indian language
support in Gentoo Linux - as of this time of writing (KDE 3.2), KDE does
not yet support Indian languages with anything like the ease with which
they are supported in GNOME. We will be using Indlinux 0.73 which can be
downloaded here.

Guntupalli Karunakar is the dude who packages Indlinux and writes the
install scripts.. I've just modified them so that they work on Gentoo,
that's all. All credit should go to him. Thanks also to Mary for first
helping me install Indlinux on Gentoo and showing me the correct way to
install fonts.

You have to be root to install IndLinux. Create a temporary directory
and download the tarball there. Enter the directory and unpack the
tarball using:
Code:
tar xvzf Indlinux-Hindi-0.73.tar.gz
cd Indlinux-Hindi-0.73
In this directory, you'll find scripts to install Indlinux. DO NOT RUN
THESE SCRIPTS. They are designed for RedHat / Mandrake / Debian. We need
to edit these scripts before running em or duplicate the commands they
issue manually.

    * Installing the locale
      Edit inslocale.sh
      Code:
      $EDITOR inslocale.sh

      In this file, edit LOCALEDIR so that it points to /usr/share/locale
      Run inslocale.sh
      Code:
      inslocale.sh

    * Installing the fonts
      Code:
      cd fonts
      cp -Rv indic /usr/share/fonts/

      Code:
      $EDITOR /etc/X11/fs/config

      in the catalogue section of this file, add
/usr/share/fonts/default/pango-fonts-0.3/indic and
/usr/share/fonts/indic/OpenType
      Make sure that the last line in the catalogue section is the only
one that does not end with a comma. all other lines have to end with a
comma.

      Code:
      catalogue =/usr/share/fonts/default/pango-fonts-0.3/indic,
              /usr/share/fonts/indic/OpenType

      Restart the X Font Server and, just to be on the safe side,
re-initialise the font cache...
      Code:
      /etc/init.d/xfs restart
      fc-cache -fv

    * Install the Keymap
      Code:
      cd ..
      inskeymap.sh

      You will need to add GKB - the keyboard switching layout tool -
to the Gnome panel. In GNOME, right click on the panel - Add -> Utility
->Keyboard layout switcher. Then right click on the GKB applet, select
Prefrences , click Add. Then add all the Indic layouts. Indic options
are avaialble as Hindi -> India -> Hindi inscript xkbmap. Indic GKB
settings will be available by default in future versions of Gnome. If
anyone is using XFCE4 and wants to know how to easily switch language
layouts, please mail or pm me.

    * Install the Translations
      Code:
      cd trans

      if /usr/share/locale/hi/LC_MESSAGES doesnt exist then create it,
using
      Code:
      mkdir -p /usr/share/locale/hi/LC_MESSAGES

      Code:
      cp  -v mo-2.4/*.mo /usr/share/locale/hi/LC_MESSAGES
      cp -v xfcemo/*.mo /usr/share/locale/hi/LC_MESSAGES
      cd ..
      $PAGER README