[REQUEST] Minimize Windows into Desktop Icons

Matthew Weier OPhinney matthew-lists at weierophinney.net
Tue Feb 3 14:53:47 CET 2004

-- Brian J. Tarricone <bjt23 at cornell.edu> wrote
(on Monday, 02 February 2004, 09:28 PM -0500):
> Matthew Weier OPhinney wrote:
>
> >The menu from xfdesktop is the only portion of xfdesktop I really want
> >-- I really wish it could be separated out or put into xfwm. However,
> >since I also want my pinboard and iconify-to-pinboard, I use ROX... and
> >another little app called deskmenu (I believe it's originally from the
> >oroborus project?); since I'm on Debian, I always have an up-to-date
> >list of my applications available in this menu, so I get to have my cake
> >and eat it too.
> >

> pulling the menu out of xfdesktop isn't an option - the part that
> listens for mouse clicks in order to know when to pop up the menu is a
> huge invisible window (the desktop itself).  if xfdesktop has that
> focus, rox won't respond to clicks for the icons, and if rox has the
> focus, xfdesktop can't bring up the menu.

Then how does deskmenu do it? I know I can configure it to listen for
specific button clicks -- but where is it 'listening' for those?

Another case: *box window managers all have a root menu. I can tell ROX
to pass botton clicks to the window manager, and doing so enables the
window managers to receive the clicks. (Note: I _cannot_ do the same
thing with xfdesktop.)

I guess what I'm wondering is, why is it possible for deskmenu and these
window managers to popup their menus without direct access to the root
window, but not possible for the xfdesktop root menu?

I'd look into it myself, but I've never done C.

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
http://weierophinney.net/matthew/