[REQUEST] Minimize Windows into Desktop Icons

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Tue Feb 3 15:48:35 CET 2004

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Matthew Weier OPhinney wrote:

> -- Brian J. Tarricone <bjt23 at cornell.edu> wrote
> (on Monday, 02 February 2004, 09:28 PM -0500):
> > pulling the menu out of xfdesktop isn't an option - the part that
> > listens for mouse clicks in order to know when to pop up the menu is a
> > huge invisible window (the desktop itself).  if xfdesktop has that
> > focus, rox won't respond to clicks for the icons, and if rox has the
> > focus, xfdesktop can't bring up the menu.
>
> Then how does deskmenu do it? I know I can configure it to listen for
> specific button clicks -- but where is it 'listening' for those?
>
> Another case: *box window managers all have a root menu. I can tell ROX
> to pass botton clicks to the window manager, and doing so enables the
> window managers to receive the clicks. (Note: I _cannot_ do the same
> thing with xfdesktop.)

interesting.  i didn't know they did that.

> I guess what I'm wondering is, why is it possible for deskmenu and these
> window managers to popup their menus without direct access to the root
> window, but not possible for the xfdesktop root menu?
>
> I'd look into it myself, but I've never done C.

i'm not really sure how rox is doing it, probably some X magic, or
possibly by messing with the gdk event mask.  i'm not too knowledgeable
about the event stuff, so i suppose i started shooting my mouth off
without completely knowing what i was talking about - sorry 'bout that.
at any rate, rox is a gtk2 app, just like xfdesktop, so if you can
figure out how to do it with rox, it's likely that the fix for
xfdesktop will be similar.  this isn't something i'm going to get to
for a while, so if you or someone else wants to look into this, that
would be best.

	-brian